Frank E. Dorrin Jr
Cell: (302) 547-0934
I am happily retired at this time in my life, and my new job is going to the gym because I got too heavy this past year. That was largely due to asthma becoming a problem this summer in a big way. It’s all coming together now.
Now I do all private flying in our Twin Comanche and only the occasional flight instruction to help a friend here or there.
On the aviation side, I am type rated in the G280, WestWind & Astra Corporate Jet Aircraft, and SIC typed the Dash-8 turboprop and B-25 warbird. I have more than 6,000 hours of overall experience in a wide variety of high performance aircraft.
On the technical side, the majority of my career has been working as an engineer and executive for the Pepco Holdings Inc family of utilities. There I rose through the ranks of Engineering to the Senior Engineer level. I slid out of engineering and into software development for the same company. There I rose to Director of Information Technology for the energy trading arm of Conectiv Energy (still within the same utility parent company).
In June, 2014, I made the bold move to retire at the young age of 56 years, and pursue a career flying airplanes commercially. I accepted a position with Piedmont Airlines flying as a First Officer on the Dash-8-100 and 300. Six weeks of training in the classroom and simulators down in Charlotte, and I was on the line and flying. This was a dream come true that I enjoyed for 18 months before retiring again to attend to family medical issues.
In December, 2016, I joined FlightSafety and earned two type ratings in the 1124A and 1125 aircraft. Now I’m building time contract flying those and enjoying a significantly improved quality of life at the same time. After a few years there, the G280 came into FlightSafety to replace the Westwind and I transitioned into that.
Notable aviation experiences:
- Contract Flying corporate jets – G280 and Westwind
- G280, Westwind, and Astra Type Rated
- SIC Typed in the B-25 Panchito
- Piedmont Dash-8 training – my first type rating
- King Air BE-200 Sim Based training
- King Air C-90 Sim Based training
- King Air C-90 Part 91 Flying
- Cirrus SR20/SR22 Instructor
- Tail-dragger rating in a brand new Citabria
- Aerobatic training in the Pitts-S2B
- VFR formation flying in a Texan AT6 with a P-51 Mustang
- Seaplane Rating and advanced training at Cherry Bottom Fishing Camp
- Glider Training in Tahoe – soled on the second morning
- Helicopter Introductory Flights
- Engineering degree (BSE) from Widener University
- Microsoft Certified Solutions Developer
- Manager – Control Systems and Network Operations, PHI
- Project Manager – Network Operations Center Implementation, PHI
- Director – Information Technology, Conectiv Energy 2008-2010
- Manager, Application Development, Conectiv Energy 1998-2008
- Consulting Application Developer, Conectiv Energy 1997-1998
- Senior Engineer, Corporate Planning, Delmarva Power & Light 1992-1997
- Various Engineering assignments, Delmarva Power & Light 1981-1992
- Jr Engineer, System Operations, Atlantic City Electric 1980-1981