I drive my own stress levels occasionally by trying to achieve zero squawks in a machine this sophisticated and this experienced. Today I test flew the second new Attitude Indicator, after the first AI would not drive the autopilot correctly. Now it is good.

During the pre-flight for that test-flight, I noticed that the back side of one prop blade on my left engine was sticky. I thought only oil was in the hub, and knew it wasn’t that. I had cleaned goo off this area prior to Florida, and now its back.

The left prop is throwing a bit of grease, so now I am contacting the Lancaster business that overhauled them end of last year. I’ll get that one tuned up shortly.

I also noted that the brake rotors are badly scored, and that has been affecting brake effectiveness. The recommendation is to put new ones on at annual.

Rather than drive for zero squawks and being dissappointed when I cannot stay there; instead I’ll drive toward that and understand how much care and feeding sophisticated machines require.

I landed in some fairly strong winds after completing a coupled low approach for testing.

Not a bad way to end the day.


By fdorrin

Fully retired now, unless something interesting comes along. I’ve enjoyed a lucrative career as an Electrical Engineer, Certified Software Solutions Developer, and Project Manager. An excellent and fun career that I’m very proud of. I began flying commercially in Dash-8 aircraft for Piedmont Airlines, and moved on to instruct in the Gulfstream 280; WestWind; and Astra jet aircraft. I’ve also been blessed with a type rating in the B-25 bomber in a fortunate turn of events. My wife, Beverly, and I currently own and operate a beautifully restored PA30 Twin Comanche, which we use to explore the CONUS.